Fort Wayne Civil War Historic Site is a county-owned 65 acre historically significant site that contains two well preserved fortified areas used by both Confederate and Union forces during and after the Civil War. Fort Wayne has a paved parking area, 1 mile of walking trails, and informational signage. For most of the Civil War, Fort Wayne was used as a staging area for Confederate reinforcements that were being sent north by rail transport. The original parade grounds and entrenchments are still in place today. Later, the Confederates placed a light artillery battery on a dominant hill overlooking the Oostanaula River. This battery was used extensively during the Battle of Resaca during May 1864. The entrenchments surrounding this battery were constructed by the Georgia Militia. These entrenchments were the last known constructed by the Georgia Militia in the entire state - the others being destroyed by development. After the Battle of Resaca, Union forces used the hill to garrison the bridge that crosses the Oostanaula River at Resaca. Union forces constructed a larger and separate fortification in the form of a redoubt that remains in excellent condition today. Union forces occupied Fort Wayne until 1868, long after the Civil War was over. Today, Fort Wayne represents one of the best preserved Civil War fortifications of its kind in the state.